The forum is locked.

The Ocean Color Forum has transitioned over to the Earthdata Forum (https://forum.earthdata.nasa.gov/). The information existing below will be retained for historical reference. Please sign into the Earthdata Forum for active user support.

Up Topic Products and Algorithms / Satellite Data Products & Algorithms / changes in the aerosl retrieval algorith (locked)
- By André Date 2004-06-28 18:05
The ATBD 17 version 4 is from 1999, and I am doing a work with MODIS
images from July 2000 and July 2003. I wonder what kind of aerosol models
were being used at that time for MODIS. Are they the sixteen candidate
models of the end of page 51 of ATBD 17? And, is the Multiple-Scattering
Retrieval Algorithm of section 3.1.1.3 the one being used in present time?
What are the major enhancements, made since the launch of MODIS, of most
importance?
- By bryanfranz Date 2004-06-28 18:22
Andre,

If the data is from the DAAC (Terra collection 4.x), then the aerosol models are the 16 models from the ATBD and the algorithm description is accurate.  To my knowledge, no major changes were made to the atmospheric correction algorithm in the years since 1999.  In fact, the algorithm is nearly identical to that used for SeaWIFS, but with the addition of a few more models and a needed polarization correction.  The major post-launch effort on MODIS/Terra for oceans has been in the calibration and characterization of the instrument response (performed by the Univ. of Miami/RSMAS group).

-- bryan
Up Topic Products and Algorithms / Satellite Data Products & Algorithms / changes in the aerosl retrieval algorith (locked)